take offs and landings

by mikka



My airplane, as seen from the SFO terminal. Also pictured, sorta: my hands looking freakishly large (in a harbinger of what has come to characterize much of my time in Japan so far).



I landed in Japan on Monday afternoon, where I spent a frantic but amazingly full single day in Tokyo (which I loved, and now wish I could spend more time there) and am now sitting on my bunk in a hostel in Kyoto, where I am just barely getting wireless internet. I have many, many more photos of my too-brief time in Tokyo, but I thought I'd break it the posts a little, and also I'm exhausted, which is a predictable yet annoying side-effect of trying to pretend that jet-lag and circadean rhythms do not exist, and my right left has mutinied from the rest of my body and decided to stop working like a normal leg (important life lesson: magical eBay cowboy boots are NOT made for walking and are getting their butt shipped back to the States the second I can figure out how).


At any rate, these two photos are from my excursion into Asakusa my first night, during which I successfully managed to order a really cheap bowl of ramen (well, "managed" by pointing a lot and smiling apologetically, which works better here than it did in Paris). I feel kind of silly saying this after only two days, but I love it here, I love just walking around, I feel like I must be going everywhere with a ridiculous dopey grin on my face as I stumble through with my non-existent Japanese, but I am insanely happy to be here, on this tiny island so insanely far away from home.