Fort Cochin and Mattancherry

by mikka


With not much to do my last day in Kerala, I just went for a wander around the neighborhood I was staying in - Fort Cochin - and the slightly busier neighboring Mattancherry. It was raining pretty torrentially, so I didn't get to take as many photos as I wanted, but you're probably grateful for that...


The same beach I was at earlier, in moodier weather.This area apparently had a small wave from the 2004 tsunami. 



Doing laundry in ankle-deep rainwater...


Laundry 'drying' in the rain. Notice anything missing? (I didn't, and the guy in the corner there pointed out to me that there are no clothespins holding the clothes up - the line's made from a sticky fiber that holds the clothes up on it)


Do these windows look like eyes to anyone else? 


Looking down on Mattancherry. I loved walking around in Mattancherry, but unfortunately that was also the rainiest time. 




Blue ginger for ... candy, I think? This is what happens when you edit your photos months after the fact.



Books for sale.


The fishing nets by day.






So that's about it for chilled out, monsoon drenched Kerala; the next day I was off to Mysore with a backpack full of slightly damp clothes. In retrospect, I wish I'd planned a slightly more ambitious itinerary for my six days there, instead of just staying based in the same town - there's definitely so much more to see that I just didn't, but I think I was exhausted by the time I got to India in the first place, having been living out of an overstuffed backpack since leaving Japan in March. So, mostly I'm just happy I got to see any of India, albiet in a slightly lazy way, and hopefully I'll go back someday for longer, possibly during drier times.