Wat Phu Champasack

by mikka





Last day in Laos; I spent the morning climbing through the 10th century Khmer ruins of Wat Phu in Champasack, which were almost entirely empty save a few monks and some women selling incense and cans of oddly addictive, syrupy coconut juice (one of them stopped me on my way out and tied an orange thread around my wrist for luck). Getting there and back - via bus, makeshift ferry, tuk-tuk, random motorcycle from a friendly guest house where I asked for directions - wasn't particularly difficult but it took awhile, which made the temple ruins feel even more isolated. I want to write more, but am on a keyboard where it's really difficult to use the letter "e" (weird excuse, I know, but it would drive you crazy too) and so will leave you with too many photos and will update from Cambodia!











 





Teenage monks and friends pick their way past a pavilion of phallic symbols.



The ferry from Ban Muang to Champasack was two small boats lashed together with some planks on top. I saw similar makeshift catamarans ferrying cars and motorcycles across the river.