happy birthday dad!!

by mikka


above*: this is how I remember much of my childhood. The archetypal "dad" in my head always wears a baseball hat and has a mustache.

Today is both my dad's birthday AND Father's Day, which means twice as many exclamation points when I say YAY FOR DAD!! My dad is awesome. I am grateful every day for having such a kind, adventure-having, amazing-salad-making, Homer-Simpson-quoting Dad, who I don't get to see nearly enough but who I miss terribly all the time. Happy Birthday/Father's Day Dad!

Also, a very happy and heartfelt Father's Day to all the other dads I know, like my stepfather John (good luck on your sailboat race!!), all of my uncles and of course my grandfather Monty. I don't see any of you nearly enough either, but I think of you all often and with lots of love. Happy Father's Day!!

* Apologies for the quality of the photo, which prevent you from taking in the full detail of my cereal-bowl haircut or being able to figure out which team my dad was supporting: while talking to my mom on video chat, I asked her to hold up a photo, so what you're seeing now is a screen shot of a Skype chat.