happy twenty-ten!

by mikka


Happy 2010! 2009 began for me on a random side street in Hanoi with Iain, listening to the sounds of the giddy motorbike traffic, and ended Princes Street Bridge in Ediburgh, amongst men in kilts, fireworks, and people drunkenly making up the words to Auld Lang Synge. It was a nice, laid back way to say goodbye to what had been a really wonderful year: we travelled around Vietam by motorbike (twice!) and spent three months with my mom and John in California and I saw almost all of my family; I drove Iain all around the states (on highways! without crashing or crying!); we went to China, where I almost fainted on the Great Wall, and Amsterdam (for 5 hours); I met Iain's awesome family in Scotland; we worked our butts off in Tokyo and studied a lot of Japanese. I took way too many photographs and knit a lot. I got to do all of this with an amazing boyfriend who makes feel me like I'm home no matter where in the world we are; I feel so lucky to be doing what I'm doing right now, and I'm so excited for whatever 2010 brings.


I left Aberdeen early in the morning on Monday and - after more airport drama than is worth recounting -  managed to hop the first standby flight back to San Francisco on Tuesday morning. So now I'm home, without Iain for the first time in over a year and a half, where my room is filled with the contents of my old Brooklyn storage unit (long story, more on it later possibly) and where it is unseasonably warm after the snow and cold of Aberdeen. So things are good, if jet-lagged and I'll write more later, but for now just wanted to wish you all a wonderful 2010 -  I hope this is your best year yet!