goodbye, old laptop

by mikka




Joey can restart my laptop and therefore pretty much knows all he will ever need to know about using it. 

I officially can no longer blame my computer* for any lapses in communication or bloggery; thanks to my dad and grandparents (thanks, Dad and Grandparents!) I am finally saying goodbye to my mostly-trusty PowerBook G4 that has followed me on so many warrenty-voiding adventures: frying its battery in my dad's Chiswick flat, being swarmed mysteriously with red ants in Cambodia, feeding it various and sundry Hanoi DVD bootlegs, falling down the stairs with me at Language Link not once, but twice, and being kicked off my bed that time I fell asleep watching Indochine. It's earned a quieter, less harrowing life, which it may not get, at least anytime soon: as soon as I get the last of my files off it, it's winging its way back to Los Angeles to live in my dad's kitchen, so Joey can play nick.com video games ALL THE TIME.

The new computer is far shinier than the last (sorry, old computer, but it's true) and I'm still a little afraid to touch it, especially as I suspect (no, know) that it's smarter than me. As Lauren so aptly put it, using it is sort of what it must feel like to become a vampire - all your scars disappear, your senses magnify, you can suddenly move faster than light, and, in the case of this particular laptop, you can recognize faces in iPhoto. I do find it a little unsettling that everytime I upload a photo of myself, my computer perkily asks "Is this Mikka?" but I'm sure this will all seem quite blase five years from now, when no doubt all Apple computers will be capable of flying and cooking dinner and who knows what else.

Anyway: goodbye, old laptop. We had some fun (remember the Sims? Good times) I'm sorry about all the photos that no doubt left your already weakened harddrive gasping for breath. I hope you think of me everytime Joey makes you play that Spongebob game.

* I will, however, continue to blame the lack of internet; sorry.