ode to monkey sticks

by mikka


above: yakitori at the Ishioka matsuri last fall

Entirely unrelated to all and any earlier posts about Lucky the monkey, I swear: I love all kinds of Japanese food, but yakitori - grilled chicken skewers - may be my all time favorite. They're cheap, decidedly un-fussy, and easy to order - which make me love them all the more in expensive, culinarily-intimidating Japan - and they fill the gaping void left in my heart by Hanoi's amazing, food-poisoning-logic-defying chicken street. Or maybe I just love them because they make awesome bar food, so I just associate them with beer, friends, and having a nice evening out? In any case, this post is my ode to our favorite yakitori haunt in Numazu, which Iain and I referred to rather unoriginally as Monkey Sticks: 


above: guess why.

Yuka introduced us to Monkey Sticks our first month in Numazu, and she was also the one to break the news that Monkey Sticks' days are limited: with imminent remodeling happening at nearbye Numazu Station, Monkey Sticks is closing down with no new location yet in sight. Fortunately, it stayed open throughout the end of our stay in Numazu.


Two of my favorite yakitori sticks: liver (リバ) and kashira (okay, I am not entirely sure what part of what animal that came from, but it was delicious). 


above: a sign of a successful meal




Maggie also approved.