Mai Chau!

by mikka



A few photos from our bike trip to Mai Chau earlier this week - it was Iain's fourth time there and my third, and I'm happy to say that it's just as awesome as it always has been. This was the second time I've gone there from Hanoi (the other time was on the loop back form our bike trip) and I definitely love the drive out - you pass through some seriously crazy truck-congested Hanoi roads through scenery that just gets prettier and prettier before you finally end up here:


The drive to Mai Chau marked my first attempt at driving on a motorbike since returning to Hanoi. I was incredibly relieved to find it still as much fun as it used to be, and no more harrowing than it was when I left - which is to say, a bit harrowing while dodging trucks trying to ovetake buses on the wrong side of the road, but nothing too traumatizing. I am definitely extra excited for Iain and my longer bike trip in two weeks.


I was also weirdly excited about roadside pho...


... and roadside coffee breaks! Roadside coffee breaks are probably one of my favorite things about bike trips, since you can sit back and take in more of the scenery than you do on your bike. Also, any excuse to drink yet more cafe sua is always welcome.




Mai Chau itself is one of my favorite places in Vietnam. We never do very much while we're there, just relaxing and taking in the scenery. As before, we stayed at Guesthouse Number One in Lac Village, where, amazingly, the super friendly owner Hoa actually remembered both me and Iain from our previous visits. If anyone going to Mai Chau doesn't already have a favorite guesthouse, I definitely recommend Hoa and Thu's place - I can't think of a nicer place to sit back and watch the rice grow.



We Mai Chau.