daily commute

by mikka


Every morning in Numazu for me begins with a drive over the Kanogawa. Every day is pretty, though today especially so (above).


On Wednesdays, Iain finishes his morning class a half hour before me, so he usually waits till I finish my class, and we drive back into town together. The haze that hung over the rice fields all summer has finally lifted to reveal an newly snowy Fuji, so we stopped to take lots of pictures.


The drive to factory we work at every morning is definitely the high point of the massive amount of commuting we do (by train, car, foot, bike, bus and occasionally via lift from our boss' husband), but I really do like my Wednesday afternoon walk home. It was such a pretty day - and I already had my camera with me, as I've been driving to work on Fuji-alert lately - so I decided to take a few more snapshots of what Numazu actually looks like, figuring that even if no one else finds it interesting, I'll hopefully like having these in the future - I know I wish I'd taken more photos of my old alleys and apartments back in Hanoi. At any rate, above is a tiny park and a tinier shrine.


The park seems to be the local trash collecting place, which may be why this mouse is so unhappy about mislaid beer bottles.


A not particularly exciting alley on the way home.



Taking one-handed photos as I carry lunch home. I bought a new winter jacket at Uniqlo, which means I am now wearing the same thing as about 80% of Japan. 


The friendliest place to buy fruit (closed Wednesdays).


An intersection near our apartment, with teenagers waiting outside do-breath hair salon. I'm guessing something was lost in the translation of that name? 


Modern and traditional houses, across the alley from our apartment.


Mysteries of the parking lot: although you can't really see from this photo, the back right tire of that red van has been very, very flat for nine months.