this morning in the garden

by mikka


Peas! I love picking peas - when we were kids, my mom used to grow armfuls of them for us; it was probably the first plant that made me realize you could grow enough food to actually eat or that you didn't have to buy. Even now, buying peas feels like a waste of money when I grew up eating baskets-full in our backyard. Probably not the case with these peas, though - after a month of producing only vines and creepers, there are only two actual pods at the moment. Next time I plant peas, it'll be in a place with more light. 

A few photos from the garden this morning - I know I say this all the time, but, I love our garden! Today I started experimenting with natural pesticides to combat the bugs that have been eating all my basil. Though there's a garlic and pepper recipe I'm going to cook later tonight, I figured I'd start with something simpler, and just used some soapy water in a spray bottle. I read on the internet that the soap can paralyze harmful insects, and I've already managed to freeze a few of them (they really do freeze - I'd feel bad if they weren't decimating my plants) while misting the leaves this morning, so, fingers crossed that it'll work. 


My attempts to make the garden Iain-friendly, since he isn't as obsessive about it as I am. The herbs are one of my favorite things in our tiny garden. It's not like we'll ever grow enough vegetables in such a tiny patch to feed ourselves, but there's always enough for a handful of herbs when I'm cooking.


I love lavender! It's one of the only flowers doing well, and they remind me of California.


Tiny proto-tomato flowers.


Cucumber flowers! 


Radish sprouts from the first batch of seedlings.