daibutsu

by mikka


daibutsu
We have a few days off from work, which we are spending unadventurously in Tokyo, studying, reading good books, playing guitar (Iain) and knitting (me), and staying warm in the sudden cold. Part of me wishes we were using this time to travel somewhere new, but both of us are pretty worn out from our schedule, and so sitting in cafes and cooking big dinners at home suddenly seems more appealing than anything else.  Lazy reclusiveness aside, we did manage to make it to Kamakura yesterday, where we hiked our way to the giant, bronze Buddha who looks just as big now as he did when I was sixteen. 
daibutsu

In other news, today I figured out how to make instant almond gelatin! My mom used to make it when I was a teenager, and it's the quite possibly the best dessert in the world - who doesn't like the synthetic taste of fake almond? (Most people, apparently, Iain included, which means more for me!) Also, a perk of learning the Kanji for my name - 美加 - is that, thanks to the meaning of the second syllable (addition),  I can now make some headway in figuring out cooking instructions! You could probably argue that the adding part of the recipe was obvious thanks to the drawing of a maniacally cheerful anthropomorphized jug of milk pouring itself into the boiling hot pan, but that would be far less cool.