Mekong Delta Biketrip, Day Two: Highway One and a really big bridge to Ben Tre

by mikka



Inauspicious beginnings: Highway One, which may be my least favorite road in Vietnam, and that includes Hanoi streets known only to me as "Intersection of Doom" and "the Punishment Light." 

Once Iain was well enough (and once we'd seen enough exceptionally bad movies in our hotel room), we picked up our motorbikes from the train station and set off through unrelenting traffic along Highway One and then over a massively steep suspension bridge to Ben Tre. The driving wasn't particularly scenic, but I did get a pretty impressive farmer tan and bragging rights to having driven in the HCMC traffic that so traumatized me when I first got here almost a year ago.


The coolest thing about this bridge is that Wikipedia doesn't think it exists yet. Not a particularly good picture, but you wouldn't really want to linger on this bridge either. 

Fortunately, Ben Tre itself was a nice town, with a busy riverfront and a street market stocked with fresh fruit and Tet decorations. 






The Ben Tre market from the opposite riverbank.

This guy saw me taking the above photo, and whistled and waved at us till I took a photo of him from his 2nd story vantage point.