Mausoleum Sunset

by mikka




Sunset at Gia Long's mausoleum, outside of Hue.


Back from Hue, which was one of the most beautiful cities I've seen in Vietnam - I wish we could have spent more time there but as it was, I had a great time and hope to go back someday. After three nights of night trains and night buses, I don't feel quite ready to head back to work (or didn't, rather, as I blearily taught my two Sunday classes early this morning and, as always, couldn't tell you a thing about them except that I drank coffee beforehand and it was awesome).

After the week of torrential rain at the end of November, Hanoi has been absolutely, unseasonably beautiful - cold and sunny and windy - and I'm starting to see why my students all rave about autumn here. My favorite description is by Mien, one of my former Elementary Three adults: "I like autumn in Hanoi because I don't forget the milk flower. I like to smell it at night on the absent road." I think this may be the most (accidentally) beautiful writing I've stumbled across while teaching.